- 1/4 cup pine nuts (can substitute walnuts, toasting optional)
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped garlic scapes
- 2 tablespoons coursely chopped fresh sweet basil
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon (can substitute 2 Tbs lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few generous grinds of black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (recommend trying lemon infused olive oil)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
In a small, dry pan set over very low heat, lightly toast the pine nuts, stirring or tossing occasionally until just beginning to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
Combine the scapes, basil, pine nuts, lemon juice and zest, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse about 20 times, until fairly well combined. Pour in the olive oil slowly through the feed tube while the motor is running. When the oil is incorporated, transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in the grated cheese. If you plan to freeze the pesto, wait to add the cheese until after you’ve defrosted it.
Serve over fresh cooked pasta, your favorite meats, or use for dipping chunks of fresh baked bread. Don’t be afraid to experiment with herbs such as dill or chervil.