Here is our twist on the Asian Cabbage Salad recipe we were given in the Gelhaus family cookbook. The original recipe calls for a package of ramen noodles along with the chicken seasoning packet being used in the dressing. We sub rice noodles and skip the bouillon packet. Do your thing!
- 4 to 8 oz rice noodles (size of your choice, we prefer low mein size broken in short pieces)
- 1 large napa cabbage 2-3 lbs, coursely chopped or shredded
- 1/2 red onion or 1/2 cup chives or some ramps
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons honey or sugar
- 2 Tablespoons oil (we tend to use sunflower or avocado oil)
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil (toasted is tasty!)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (or more)
Soften noodles according to instructions. Meanwhile mix together oil + vinegar + honey dressing. Combine noodles (let dry as much as possible) and dressing. In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients (except almonds) and toss. Cover and chill slightly before serving. Add almonds immediately before serving.