The We Grow Family
We Grow is a small-scale, family farm. The title of chief gardener is on Rebecca, the mother, wife, leader of the team. Husband, Eric gets to do the dirty work. Literally. Playing roulette with the weather in preparing and caring for the soil to coincide with the chief’s rigorous succession planting schedule. Youngsters on hand, Gus and Dene, assist with seeding, harvesting and making sure our products are kid approved.
We Grow Volunteers and Worker Shares
Lest we not forget about our volunteers and worker shares. We would not be a community supported farm without these people. We Grow has a host of volunteers – our family, friends, and members – who help on the farm when the work gets heavy. Don’t hesitate to ask us about volunteering or contributing to the farm as a share worker.
Our Growing Practices
- What is different about We Grow? The techniques used to produce your food allow us to not rely on chemicals. We call this sustainable agriculture.
- Carefully planned crop rotation reduces disease and pest infestations. It also prevents soil nutrient depletion.
- Annual cover crops are planted over areas not in vegetable production. This gives the soil a rest period, prevents erosion and improves fertility when they are worked into the soil.
- We choose to use only organic certified, non-GMO seeds and also utilize open-pollination to save seeds from select varieties year after year. This not only saves money, but also creates a genetically superior variety specifically for our weather, our soil, our gardening practices and harvest techniques.
- Animal manures produced on our farm are composted and distributed in correlation with our planting schedule to maximize soil fertility.